Monday, December 1, 2014

Welcome Back!

You wrote a novel! 
Congratulations!!!

The first thing we do today?
READ!


First order of business:
 In your English Journal (not your novel!), start a new entry at the top of the document with today's date.

Now that NaNoWriMo is officially over, it is time to reflect on the experience. Write a paragraph or two describing your experience. Don't spend more than ten minutes on this. Just write as much as you can. Some questions to get you started might include:
  • What did you like or dislike about NaNoWriMo?
  • What did you learn?
  • How has your view of writing changed?
  • What has changed in your own writing?
  • What was difficult and how did you overcome those difficulties?

Second order of business:
Since you finished writing your novel, and probably got a lot of reading done as well, you're welcome to check out new books! (Please make sure you bring back books you've finished or want to abandon so others may read them.)

This week we're going to be spending time working on revision and editing!
This means you're going to take your novel and make it better.
Here are the things that you need to look for today:

  1. My story has an ending that includes a resolution. (You can work on this as you need to, but you cannot simply stop when you hit your word count. You need the climax and resolution to complete the novel!)
  2. I have divided my novel into sections or chapters in order to give it a structure that makes more sense for the reader.
  3. I have divided my writing into paragraphs and have made sure that I have indented properly.
  4. I have indented dialogue properly (each time there is a new speaker, there is also a new paragraph).
  5. I have made sure that all dialogue is punctuated correctly. (Use of quotations, commas, question marks, etc.)
  6. I have capitalized all words at the beginnings of sentences.
  7. I have capitalized the word “I” every time I have used it.

No comments:

Post a Comment