(in case you weren't aware yet)
We'll be reading today.
- Open Socrative
- You'll also need your copy of "A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings" open.
We're not done with it just yet!
Denotation vs. Connotation
When you look at sensory details and mood within the story, you are using the author's word choice to figure out how you're supposed to feel within the story. When an author chooses specific words over others when they write, they are using diction to tell their story.
Diction involves knowing how words relate to each other in different contexts.
This means we have to understand the denotation and connotation of words.
Let's look at this more closely....
Important Information You Need:
- The end of the grading period is next Friday 10/10. If you have not finished two books (your group novel and one choice novel), you need to spend a lot more time reading. Finish them.
- Your group novel should be DONE on Monday, October 6
- You can improve upon the English Journal grade you gave yourself by going back and working on the pieces that you have not yet completed or done thoroughly.
- Give Mrs. Roberts or Ms. Black a fist bump (an exploding one, preferably)
- If you didn't take the Newsela Quiz yesterday, go do that.